The Happy Fam!

The Happy Fam!

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Outnumbered #2 - At the Doctor

As a mom with three boys under 3, doctor's appointments (sadly) take up more room than anything else on my calendar. I'm not sure if it's because we actually spend all our time there, or if I'm just afraid I'll forget them if I don't write them down. Probably a little of both!

Anyway, I thought this would make a great second installment in the "Outnumbered" series, where I'm chronicling segments of my life as a chicken with its head cut off. Without further adieu, I present our most shining moments at the doctor's office:


  • The second time we took Johnny to Boise (we were living in Twin Falls at the time) for his kidney evaluation, I was just barely pregnant with Zach. As they were trying to find a vein on Johnny's little arm, I was in the corner eating saltines, trying my hardest not to pass out. There was one nurse assigned specifically to me. It was a good thing Paul was there to help Johnny, because I wasn't particularly helpful that day! 
  • When Johnny had his kidney surgery, he was 14 months old and I was two weeks from having Zach. I ate an entire bag of chocolate mini-donuts while he was in surgery. I think I'll note here that I would MUCH rather be sick myself than watch my babies suffer. I hate it! Anyway, that night, I slept with Johnny in his hospital crib - 38 weeks pregnant. I'm pretty sure I didn't get all my REM cycles that night.
  • In the delivery room with Johnny, right after he was born, everyone abandoned me so they could see the baby. My epidural had worked REALLY well, so with no one there to help me, both my legs fell off the table and there was nothing I could do about it. I think they refer to me as "The Flash."
  • We had to take Johnny to the emergency room when he was barely 2 because he had an ibuprofen pill stuck up his nose. 
  • The last time I took the two older boys in for their well-checks, Zach was screaming as usual, so I was focusing all my attention on him. When the doctor came in the room, we couldn't find Johnny! Don't worry, we found him in the cupboard under the sink. 
  • One time we took Zach in to the Quick Care because he had an ear infection. The doctor refused to see him because he was screaming. Really?! I don't think the guy had ever met a kid before. 
  • The only way we could get Johnny to hold still during an ear exam one day was to let him play angry birds on the iPad. The doctor told us he'd never seen a kid hold that still! We were so proud
  • I've only taken all 3 boys by myself one time, and here's why: while we were in the waiting room, Johnny stood at the front desk telling the receptionist all about her fish tank while Zach ran around the room pooping. I would've wrestled them down, but Toby had decided he was hungry so I was feeding him. Meanwhile, Johnny proceeded to dump goldfish all over the playroom floor and then the receptionist handed me my paperwork. Multitasking, anyone? Then they called us back, where I changed Zach's poopy diaper while the nurse finished feeding Toby his bottle. Meanwhile, Johnny ran up and down the hall, refusing to come into the room. Eventually we found out Zach had a double ear infection and needed 5 shots. Such good news.
As you can see, we really enjoy our time at the doctor. That's why we go so often!

No comments:

Post a Comment